Friday, October 10, 2014

Injections (with lidocaine/prilocaine cream) & medical tape

The back and forth struggle is real. I've been seeing a plastic surgeon consistently for 6 months. Every 6 weeks, I've been getting steroid injections. It's a slow and painful process, but I'm seeing and feeling the difference it's making. My keloids aren't as itchy. They've become softer as well.

My doctor puts a topical anesthetic cream on scar before she injects it with triamcinolone acetonide (steroid). It burns like hell, but the cream helps a little bit. Before, we would inject the anesthetic into my keloids at the same time as the steroid, and although that was less painful the scar was getting less medicine. If you have keloids, you know how hard and robust keloids are. It's very difficult to penetrate  even with a needle so there's little room for the steroid to squeeze it's way in. By using the topical anesthetic cream, we're leaving more room for the steroid to make it's way in the keloid (because that's the good stuff---the more the merrier especially with a difficult scare like mine).

Here's a picture of what the cream:
LIDOCAINE and PRILOCAINE Cream (it's the same stuff dentists use)

I had to wait 10 minutes for the numbing to take effect.

40 mg! That's the strong stuff. 


My doctor also prescribed a medical tape to put over my scars. I change them twice a day. Once in the morning, and then again before I go to sleep. It's annoying but I'm willing to try anything...

7 comments:

  1. You are brave for posting, thank you for sharing your experience. I myself have been unable to get continuous treatment due to acne related problems and lack of insurance at times. Basically my doc told me he can't inject me with steroid as it may exacerbate my surrounding acne so I have to work on that problem first (ugh, and what a problem that is) and then tackle the keloids. It's hella annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's hella annoyting.

      I know the struggles of not having insurance. I am currently enrolled un Covered CA.

      And I used to suffer from acne really badly too. Before I saw a plastic surgeon for my scar, I was seeing a dermatologist. He prescribed Epiduo which really helped with existing acne, and prevented new ones from coming. Only bad thing is that it bleached all my towels, so make sure to buy some white bath towels if you do that direction.

      Still suffering from scars, but the consistent injections make it less painful and itchy. Also, it's not puffed up like a balloon anymore.

      I hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Hi my keloid looks exactly like yours when u first got it. and I know it really really sucks. did u seek treatment at the national skin centre? I made an appt but I'm doubting them as I read all these comments online. I really wish we all had perfect skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret not seeking treatment earlier. Also, I regret excising it. It really exacerbated my scar, and it grew back even bigger! I went to Kaiser Dermatology Dept, then they referred me to Plastics.

      Delete
  3. Keloids happen from the overgrowth of scar tissue. Keloids Symptoms happen at a site of previous skin damage. Natural Herbs Clinic is a resource where you can easily obtain Keloids Natural Treatment without any side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The keloids symptoms include raised tissue that is generally accompanied by tough itching, sharp, needle-like pains, and changes in texture, although the degree of all these depends upon the individual and the harshness of the keloids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Blogs Thanks For Sharing With Us.
    Dr Jyoti’s Skin & Laser clinic is dedicated to provide the most advanced solutions in skin care and cosmetic treatments. Founder Dr. Jyoti is well-known and reputed as an expert in innovative skin care and treatment, and her dedication to ongoing research and best practices has solidified her reputation as a superbly skilled skin care professional.
    best skin clinic in patna
    best skin doctor in patna
    top skin clinic in patna
    top skin doctor in patna
    anti aging treatment in patna
    best pimple doctor in patna
    anti acne treatment in patna
    best website development company in patna
    best software development company in patna
    best web designing company in patna
    top web development company in patna

    ReplyDelete